Friday, January 2, 2015

Running isn't just running...



               Both of my sons are runners.  When I say that they are runners, I am not saying that they are taking up the activity of running.  It is a term often used for children on the spectrum that literally try to run away from their problems.  They become so overwhelmed or troubled by the stimuli around them that they engage in elopement; escape.  As a parent it is the most frightening and terrifying thing in the world and when my oldest son started engaging in it at the age of three years old it is sad that so many people seemed to jump to judgment without really understanding that when a child, who is likely a genius, decides that he or she is going to take a trip out of the home then they will find a way.  It isn’t an act of negligence usually and likely the doors are locked and the house is secure; however, literally in my case…every time an instance has occurred I was using the bathroom (we all have to; it is a natural process) and I can only believe that just like any child they will use the opportunities given them to attain whatever it is that they want.  In these cases, to escape whatever it is that is plaguing them at the moment. 
               With that being said, when my oldest son first started really engaging in elopement we had tried everything that we could think of to make the environment a safe one, but we were living in a rental and when I called the rental agent to ask about adding locks and alarms I was told that she would sue me if I did it (we did it anyways after a third attempt by him).  Yes, people, it is something that I have dealt with many times over the years:  people that just do not seem to care about anything more than the almighty dollar.  It isn’t their child; therefore, it isn’t their problem.  It doesn’t make it right and ignorance is its own form of special need.  
                At any rate, it was after Seamus had gotten out of the house while company was over (he had pushed the window out over the toilet and had jumped out of it) and was missing for over three-and-a-half hours that I realized that we needed to figure out how to make our home safe and to heck with the rental agent.  I can say though that it was from that moment on that I suddenly found myself checking doors, windows, and waking myself in the night to check if my son was in his bed.  I think what really seemed to break me was on that fateful day when he was gone nearly four hours and dozens of people had been combing the area and no one could seem to find a trace of him.  Since we lived by a lake at the time and no one could find him, the next stage was brought in:  search dogs and divers.  That memory is forever imprinted in my mind and likely I will have it with me always.  I could feel a lump form in my throat and my chest tighten; this could not be happening. I waited until the next day after he was safely returned home to completely fall to pieces with him sitting on my lap and my arms wrapped tightly about him.  All it took was simple cheap door and window alarms with batteries to stop Seamus from running; in his case it was an issue of impulse control.  He just needed something to break that urge and that was enough. 
  Then there came Aiden.  Aiden is the kind of boy that makes me hope that in his future adulthood that he uses his super powers for good some day.  When he wanted to run, he just turned the alarms off; next disarming them completely into uselessness, next we installed two key entry deadbolts…he solved that by figuring out how to pick the locks (pumpkin carving kits were his tool of choice), and then we had video cameras installed to help monitor his movements throughout the house...he proceeded to disable those, as well, once he realized what they were for.  Yes, a folks, Aiden is amazing and persistent.  He likely is one of the most determined children I have ever met, but it is only through hyper-vigilance and a speedy dialing finger that we have managed to keep him safe.  I am not afraid to call 911.  Don’t ever be remiss in calling; no matter if he is found safe right away.  I would rather have the cavalry on its way and him found safe than feel like I am worrying too little and then it’s too late.  This is autism parenting.  Not all autistic children/people are runners, but with so many missing autistic children that seem to plague the newsfeed of my Facebook I think it is important to know something about it. 
I mentioned briefly about people rushing to judgment.  It happens all too often.  They assume that the parents aren’t paying attention or hadn't done something that would could have...  It isn’t that simple.  These children are intelligent; their deficits include social issues and speech cognition in some cases; however, other parts of their brains work just fine and likely far better than us mere mortals!  It is their nature to be observers and although they may not understand intent they do understand when circumstances become available.  I would caution and suggest that people not jump to judgment but offer support of their neighbors in these instances for they all have a story that you do not know about.  I am currently lucky enough to have a great set of neighbors across the street from me who have often helped when I need them to and come to my aid when the occasion has arisen.  I hope that more people begin to really understand and offer help when it is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment